Quality living, downtown convenience.
“The Olin combines home-like comfort with modern luxury and economy”
The Olin began life in 1925 as one of Denver’s premier luxury hotels. Located in historic Capitol Hill neighborhood, one block east the Colorado State Capitol building, the hotel was once a popular gathering spot for legislators who valued its magnificent Spanish-style architecture and sumptuous dining rooms-and convenient location.
After some years of neglect, The Olin was purchased and renovated by SHO in 1980 to provide 106 efficiency and one-bedroom apartments for older adults and disabled individuals. Still retaining much of its original charm, The Olin was established as a HUD housing community to provide housing for low to moderate income individuals. Residents can enjoy the convenience and independence of a true downtown location. Grocery stores, restaurants, Churches, shopping, library and public transportation access are only a few of the local amenities. The Olin will undergo another renovation and the addition of six units, starting in late summer 2019, to be completed in late 2020.
Our Application Process Includes
A completed application
An in-person interview
Tour of the property
Only two blocks from the Capitol, and half a block from Colfax Avenue, transportation and services are very close by. The heart of downtown, the 16th Street Mall and shopping nearby make this ideal for apartment living for older adults and those with disabilities.
- RTD buses for the 16th St. Mall just a few blocks away
- Restaurants and stores practically next door
- City and County services within walking distance
- Security 24 hours a day in the lobby of the Olin
- Civic Center Park just three blocks away
The southwest style architecture of this building shows its roots as a grand hotel in Denver starting in the early 1900’s. Renovated in 1980, and again to be upgraded in 2020 with new common areas, and refreshed units, this apartment complex will be operating as affordable housing for another 30 years or more. The flavor of the old hotel will be more visible from Logan Street as a new lobby area opens up the entrance. The courtyard and street frontage will have new trees and gardens for residents’ use.
- 106 units, soon to become 112 with all new appliances
- Courtyard with easy access and comfort 365 days a year
- Large dining area used for gatherings of all residents
- Onsite management, maintenance and security personnel
- Two elevators accessible at each side of the u-shaped structure
Inside Our Home
Each unit has basic appliances (stove, refrigerator, sink, cabinets and counters). Each unit will have a renovation in 2019-20, and the common areas will be centralized and expanded, including a new lobby and staff offices near the entry.
- 56 One-Bedroom units (62 after renovation)
- 50 Studio units
- Game room with pool table and large-screen television
- Laundry facilities for self-use
- Central kitchen used for parties and special events